Wider adoption of Solidity by non-Ethereum platforms shows that ‘Solidity has become a de facto standard for writing Smart Contracts‘.
Here are the recent Platforms which have adopted/support Solidity as their Smart Contract language:
- Hedera Hashgraph and
- Hyperledger Fabric
Introducing a new language for each platform will cost the following:
1. Reluctance to learn a new language.
2. Learning curve.
3. Re-writing of existing Smart Contracts, causing delay in porting or even avoidance.
4. Additional requirements of testing and auditing.
5. Potential vulnerability or unknown/new security flaws.
The development of a new Smart Contract language called Vyper confirms the fact that Solidity hasn’t fulfilled the entire needs of the ecosystem. But, at the same time, as Vyper has not yet become a mainstream Smart Contract language, there is no other viable alternative than Solidity.
From my personal perspective, the prime advantage of adopting Solidity, is the ability to port/move the existing Smart Contracts written for Ethereum, to the new platforms such as Hedera Hashgraph OR Hyperledger Fabric. This will increase the adoption of these new platforms multi-fold within a very short period of time, by paving way for easy and quick porting – with an option to fall back.
What developers need to be aware of?
1. Learn Solidity; it’s *most wanted*.
It’s going to help you get a job/better-salary despite any odds.
2. Learning how to apply Solidity to multiple platforms including Ethereum.
This will increase the odds of getting hired for blockchain projects based on either Etherem, Hedera Hashgraph or Hyperledger Fabric.
What businesses need to be aware of?
1. Be open to porting your existing Ethereum/Solidity based apps to new and better platforms.
You would also want to benefit from the advantages offered by non-Ethereum platforms, by reusing the same piece of code, with no/little modification.
2. Design without tight-coupling to specific platforms.
The only way you would be able to take advantages of portability, is by designing and coding your system in such a way that it’s reusable, with no/little modification.
What platform creators need to be aware of?
1. Provide support for backward-compatibility.
It’s good for you, your business and the society at large. Anyone adding value to the existing investments, by way of reusing it to provide new/better service will always be welcome! And you can be the one!!!
2. Provide a bridge or an adapter.
In case, you can’t make use of the existing piece of code, you can provide, at least, a bridge or an adapter for interoperability. This will help in reusing the existing code base, besides increasing conversion rates.
“Solidity is unavoidable… and, better take advantage of it!”